EliteFighters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EliteFighter's Offical Website

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prep-Work Begins On i360

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr007
Warrent Officer
Warrent Officer
Mr007

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-11-22

Prep-Work Begins On i360 Empty
PostSubject: Prep-Work Begins On i360   Prep-Work Begins On i360 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

Prep-Work Begins On i360

Published on 20-10-2009 by Skyscrapernews.com
Site preparation is now beginning on the i360 observation tower that's been approved to stand on the seafront of the genteel resort of Brighton.

Designed by London Eye architects Marks Barfield, the scheme which is set to stand overlooking West Pier, still doesn't have funding to complete it but with planning permission due to lapse, work has had to start on site anyway.

Once construction work does start on site, the issue of renewing planning permission becomes moot whilst there are few rules on how quickly they have to build the scheme meaning that they can do work at the speed the lack of full funding allows - the initial construction will see the site properly prepared with some piling taking place.

All of this gives the architects and developer, the West Pier Trust, an opportunity to continue to seek funding on the 175 metre tall ride. They now hope to have it completed in time for the 2012 Olympics showing that the development has slipped in schedule from the originally hoped-for 2010 that was being touted in 2006.

Once complete the i360 will basically consist of a long spire with a 60 tonne flying saucer shaped pod that runs up and down it vertically carrying up to 100 passengers in a single ride. Topping it will be a wind turbine that will provide up to a fifth of the power requirements of the structure.

It isn't the only vertical ride planned for Brighton with the spokeless ferris wheel, the Big O, having also surfaced and also planned to stand on the seafront. If both go ahead, the town will be in the unique position of being the only place in the United Kingdom to have two vertical rides outside of a theme park.

business opportunity
selling ebooks online
Back to top Go down

Prep-Work Begins On i360
Page 1 of 1